My last small, digital camera has not been up to par lately. It has a huge delay in capturing pictures, so if I was taking a picture of my boys they would be out of the frame by the time the camera actually snapped the picture. Plus, it didn’t take very nice pictures inside the house or other buildings. I was a little shocked and overall disappointed in it. So I was THRILLED when I started doing some research on GE’s Smart Series of digital cameras.
There are ten cameras to choose from in the Smart Series – for every summer need and a range of prices. When shopping through the series you can at-a-glance see if it has the features you want with their colorful icons indicating options like Panoramic Photos, Smile Detection, Blink Detection, and Image Stabilization – just to name a few. These featurific cameras are priced from $69 to $129 – and all offer amazing megapixels and zoom capabilities. I will say upfront, though, that if you want a camera that can handle getting wet you want to look at the Active Series and their waterproof cameras which are affordably prices between $149 to $179.
The Mom Buzz received the A1455 to review. I was able to use it quickly out-of-the-box, once I added a memory card and batteries. But I didn’t need to fiddle with buttons and menu options to start capturing cool photos of my boys, thanks to the intuitive features and amazing capabilities. With the Smart Series A1455 you get some features you want, lots that you need and some that you didn’t even know existed … but you want them anyways. This includes:
- 14.1 Megapixels: You can choose to shoot in 14, 12, 10, 8, 5, 3 or .3 Megapixels. The higher the Megapixels, the higher the printing quality for enlargements. For example, 3 Megapixels is suitable for 4″ x 6″ – but if you want an 8″ x10″ or larger it is best to shoot with higher megapixels. So far I always leave it at 14 megapixels.
- 5x Optical Zoom: Optical zoom is different than digital zoom. With an optical zoom you can magnify the image you are trying to capture without reducing the quality. Now don’t be fooled by “Digital Zoom” on other cameras which does sacrifice quality. Now, the question is how much zoom do you want on your compact digital camera? Seven of the Smart Series offer 5x Optical Zoom. The other three have 3x Optical Zoom. To me, the option of more zoom is always a good thing – especially if you are trying to capture your kids on stage at Star Wars Jedi Training or across a soccer field. This way when you show a picture to grandma or a friend, they will actually be able to recognize your child in a field of faces or from far away.
- 2.7″ LCD Screen: Large screen for easy reviewing of images and menu options.
These next features speak for themselves – but they are a great addition to digital cameras. All the cool cameras have them – and it allows an amateur photographer to capture moments a little easier.
Smile Detection: The shutter automatically releases when the smile appears so you can capture smiles the moment they happen.
- Blink Detection: Blink Detection alerts you if your subject’s eyes were closed so you can immediately retake the picture.
- Face Detection: Face Detection identifies the faces in a photo and will automatically focus and optimize exposure for sharp, brilliant pictures. In other words, the A1455 will compensate for dark scenes or scenes with an illuminated background.
- Image Stabilization: For shaky hands and wobbly situations, the camera will auto stabilize for clearer, sharper pictures.
Now here are some cool perks that come with the Smart Series A1455.
- Pancapture: You can capture Panorama images with the A1455 – a 360 degree scene that is merged into one photo. You can shoot between 2 to 3 photos to be merged into this singular image.
- Auto Scene: On the top dial of your camera there is an ASCN option, which stands for autoscene. When on this option, the camera will detect the “conditions” of the photograph you are trying to capture and will select the one it thinks is best for sharp vibrant pictures. It is detecting Landscape, Portrait, Night Portrait, Backlit Portrait, Night Landscape and Macro shots.
- High Dynamic Range: Okay – here is the best way I can explain this one. Ever try to take a picture that might include a window and all you see is white outside the window, as opposed to trees and a view? High Dynamic Range does what used to be a photoshop application and gives it a better light balance, so what you see is what the camera captures.
- Movies: You can record short videos with the A1455! The optical zoom is fixed at 1.5x digital zoom, but it still sufficient for capturing spur of the moment memories.
So those are some of the notable features the camera has, along with common ones like red-eye reduction, flash options, self-timer and choosing to shoot in color, black & white, sepia or “vivid”.
Uploading the images on the computer is easy. I attached the camera using the supplied USB cord, opened the folder with the images and moved them into the appropriate folder on my computer. Some of the photos I pulled into my photoshop program to crop. The photos I took can be printed to a width of 60 inches – that’s 5 feet wide! The full-color photos I took of the boys are fantastic, love the light balance. I chose the ASCN option for the photo of the flower and Sepia color option for my dog Sookie. Overall, the photos are awesome for a compact digital camera.
Win a GE Smart Series A1455 Digital Camera, a $119 Value.
- FIRST: MANDATORY ENTRY: Check out the selection of GE Digital Cameras and tell me which one you want (other than the A1455) and why!
SECOND: EXTRA ENTRIES:
To receive these extra opportunities for entries, you must fulfill the first REQUIRED/MANDATORY entry. But for extra entries, you can do the following – leave a comment for each:
- Add theMomBuzz to your Twitter and Tweet the contest. Leave your Tweet Link. (1 tweet per DAY is allowed)
- Subscribe to the Mom Buzz
- Enter the Bebe-O Contest.
- Become a Friend on Google Friend Connect (Right side sidebar)
- “Like” GE Camera on Facebook
- Leave a comment on GE Cameras Facebook site saying: I saw the A1455 Review on the Mom Buzz! Visit http://tinyurl.com/3x8csje to learn more.
- Add the Mom Buzz button to your site or onto your blogroll (Feed: http://themombuzz.com/feed/)
- Follow GE Cameras on Twitter
- Tweet: #Win @GECamera from @themombuzz – Visit http://tinyurl.com/3x8csje
Contest ends 7.23.10. This is open to the USA. Please refer to complete contest rules. The entries listed above are the ONLY entries for this contest. Winners will be notified by e-mail (if supplied in the entry or on profile page), as well as on the Winner’s Wall.