Okay, I know you’ve all been drooling over some spectacular St. Patrick’s edible creations on Pinterest. But face it, most busy moms need something easy, since we are multi-tasking with dinner, homework, housework and more. If whatever you bake is green, then go you! And there are simple ways to add your own “twist” to turning something that’s out of the box into something semi-homemade. And here is my first St.Patrick’s Day bake for 2012, with some help from McCormick, Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines and Wilton. (But of course, use your own favorite brands!)
Easy Green St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes
- 1 Package of Butter Recipe Fudge Cake Mix (Duncan Hines) + whatever the mix calls for … in this case eggs, water and butter
- 1 Container of Betty Crocker Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- 20 drops of McCormick Green Food Coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon of McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- St. Patrick’s Cupcake Liners
- St. Patrick’s Toppers or Green Sprinkles
- Zip Lock Baggie
- Prepare Cupcakes as per box directions.
- In a Zip-Lock baggie, add 20 drops of Green Food Coloring, the can of vanilla frosting and 1/2 teaspoon of Pure Peppermint Extract.
- Close the baggie and “press” and “fold” it. You can let the kids do this, just make sure they aren’t bashing the bag and that it is securely closed.
- I put the mixed baggie into the fridge to let it “cool” a little after manhandling it.
- Once the cupcakes are done baking, I let them cool. (It should have made 24 cupcakes!)
- Cut the tip off the ziplock and frost the cupcakes.
- Add any St. Patrick’s Decor you have on hand.
There you go! The mixing, baking, cooling and decorating make this a two hour – three hour process. I love the flavor of the Peppermint Icing with the Chocolate Cupcakes. You can jazz it up with bits of Chocolate Peppermint Candy on top, too. But however you accessorize it, this is easy enough to do the night before and everyone has cute, green smiles after they eat one!
WIN: Win a St. Patrick’s Baking Kit! It will include the Wilton St. Patricks Day Cupcake Kit (liners + toppers), 50 additional Cupcake Liners, McCormicks Peppermint Extract, McCormick Green Food Coloring & McCormick’s Vanilla Extract! To enter, visit here: St. Patrick’s Day Cupcake Kit
This is solely the recipe and opinion of the Mom Buzz. Other people may have different experiences with the product. And don’t forget to enter my other hot contests so you can win and try buzzworthy products! The Mom Buzz received McCormick Green Dye, McCormick Peppermint Extract and Wilton Cupcake Liners and decor for these cupcakes, but the idea and other choices were my own.