TheMomBuzz received an Epson printer to review. This review is based on thorough testing of the unit. TheMomBuzz uses affiliate links.
I have been working from my home office for nearly 9 years and the majority of the time I’ve trusted Epson printers to handle my diverse at-home printing needs. From marketing to school projects, and recreational printing to banking documents, Epson just handles each and every need.
Recently we had a chance to use the Expression Premium XP-640 Small-In-One and it quickly became my personal go-to printer. Opening up the box, it’s surprisingly compact but does it all. It has the ability to utilize standard printing, envelopes, copying and scanning documents, photo printing and utilizing Facebook and Instagram.
With a variety of features, the printer delivers superior photo quality, auto 2-sided printing an added convenience and within 20 seconds can print 4” x 6” photos. It’s hard to imagine needing to print out photos on photo paper these days, but if you have kids you will. The XP-640 has a wireless solution, including Wi-Fi Direct to easily print direct from an iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or a smartphone without a router. Using this feature – on the iPhone and iPad just select print and select the printer an it’s connected. And this goes back to printing photos – my sons LOVE taking pictures of our chickens, printing them and sharing the pictures with their classmates.
The printer is small in size, but can do the job of any larger printer plus more thanks to the extra features that the XP-640 has. The XP-640 is 15.4” x 19.8” x 5.6? inches and weighs 21.5lbs. It also has a flip up 2.7” in. LCD screen panel which allows you to view the printer’s functions and settings on the Menu screen by using the touch Navigation Pad. When turning it on for the first time, it does take about 10 minutes to prep up and to ensure the alignment and proper visibility. After that, it is ready to print when you are – no long warm up period.
Since there is no computer needed to use this printer, you have the choice of either SD card or USB flash drive to print your pictures from. With the wireless feature, you can print pictures directly from your phone or tablet – bypassing the requirement of the SD or Flash Drives.
- Superior photo quality — vivid, bright photos and sharp text, with 5-color inks
- Fast — lab-quality 4″ x 6″ photos in as fast as 20 seconds
- Create — borderless photos up to 8″ x 10″; dedicated photo and DVD trays
- Convenient — save time and paper with auto 2-sided printing
- Ultimate wireless — easy iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and smartphone printing2; includes Wi-Fi Direct® for network-free printing
- PC-free printing — 2.7″ LCD and touch panel, built-in USB and memory card slots
- Creative Print App — easily print Facebook and Instagram photos and create custom cards, collages and more
- Individual ink cartridges — replace only the cartridge that runs out
- Small-in-One — ultra powerful performance, ultra slim design
- Share — scan to Facebook and the cloud for easy photo sharing
Epson has an app called the Epson Creative Print for your phone or tablet which allows you to print collages, coloring books, greeting cards, and personalized stationary. The Creative Print app easily lets you print your photos from your Facebook and Instagram accounts. If your like myself and spouse, we both have a bunch of images on Facebook and Instagram. This gives me the ability to select and image that I like and print out the picture on of the Epson photo paper.
The Epson XP-640 has a maximum scan size of 8.5” x 11.7” inches (21.6cm x 29.7cm). It has a color depth of 48bit input and 24bit input and 16bit input and 8bit output for black color depth.The Epson XP-640 has a rate speed of 10cpm (copies per minute) for black and 7.2cpm for colored copies. It has the standard copy modes such as color, black, photo, text, and text and image and has a copy size up to 8.5” x 14” inches.
The Epson XP-640 has a dedicated CD tray that allows for printing on a printable CD or DVD. This feature eliminates the need to print out CD/DVD sticker labels and instead prints right on the CD or DVD. Included with the printer is a CD disc with the drivers, Claria ink , a power plug, and a plastic bag to store the ink caps in case you need to need them again.
I’ve used several Epson printers and so far this is the best one to date. From the ease of use to the features Epson made a great reasonably priced printer this time around. The only additional recommendation would be to have extra ink on hand since you can get carried away printing pictures.
- Epson Creative App.
- SD / Flash Drive ability.
- Wireless printing.
- Copier and scanner functions.
- Print on printable CD/DVD.
- Smudge-resistant, water-resistant, fingerprint-resistant Claria Ink.
- Lab quality photo print.
- Sometimes you have to insert a new ink cartridge several times before it is accepted.
- Restocking ink is more pricey than the printer (but the printer is so economical, it’s worth it!)